The Summit Fire Department is providing important instructions for citizens to consider during summer months.
Only attend public fireworks displays that are conducted by licensed professionals. The use of fireworks by non-licensed individuals is illegal in the state of New Jersey.
Each year since 2015, more than 22,000 fireworks injuries and over 30,000 fires caused by fireworks have been reported.
Keep grills at least 10 feet from buildings.
• Never store propane tanks indoors, below ground level or leave unattended in a vehicle.
• If there is a smell of gas while grilling, shut down the grill and have it serviced.
• Keep grill cleaned of grease build up.
• Dispose of charcoal briquettes by cooling in grill and removing to a metal container kept outdoors.
Fire pit safety:
• Do not allow young children to use a fire pit. Keep children and pets at least three feet away from burning fires.
• Do not wear flammable or loose fitting clothing when tending a fire pit.
• Keep the fire pit at least 15 feet from any structure.
• Keep a fire extinguisher or garden hose nearby when using a fire pit.
• Do not use flammable fluids such as gasoline, alcohol, diesel fuel, kerosene, and charcoal lighter fluid to light or relight fires.
• Do not burn trash, leaves, paper, cardboard, or plywood. Avoid using soft wood such as pine or cedar that will likely pop and throw sparks. Use of seasoned hardwood is recommended.
• If the smoke or odor of a fire creates a neighborhood nuisance, the fire department can (by fire code) require a fire to be extinguished.
• Allow gas-powered equipment to cool before putting away or refueling.
• Store gasoline in an approved container. Place it outdoors, out of direct sunlight and in a well-ventilated area.
• Stay indoors and away from windows during thunderstorms.
• Never congregate outdoors or swim if thunder is present.
• Exercise caution when using home phone lines and around electrical wires during thunderstorms; power surges from lightning can come through phone lines and wires.
• Plug window or portable air conditioners directly into a wall outlet; do not use extension cords. If an electrical outlet is hot to the touch, unplug all appliances and have wiring inspected as soon as possible. Call the fire department if a burning odor is present.
• During a heatwave, stay hydrated, avoid strenuous activity and check on family, neighbors and pets. Never leave children or pets unattended in vehicles.
• Heat stroke is a life threatening emergency with signs that include hot and reddened skin, changes in consciousness, vomiting and elevated body temperature. Call 911 if these symptoms are present.
• Residents are encouraged to contact the Summit Fire Department at 908-277-1033 with any questions.
Have a safe and enjoyable summer.