Submitted by Ronald Weinger
The Historical Society of Berkeley Heights (HSBH) will open the door of the Little-Lord Farmstead Museum, at the corner of Horseshoe Road and Mountain Avenue, to the public beginning in April. The 257-year-old farmstead is the oldest continuously occupied farmstead in Union County. For 110 years it was occupied by descendants of Charles Wait Lord, who purchased the land in 1867. His great-granddaughter, Elizabeth Ann Wemett, sold the property to the Township of Berkeley Heights in 1975, and in 1977 the Historical Society established the museum.
Progress has been made in maintaining the house and the grounds. The photograph shows part of the new roof that was installed in May over the north wing of the house. Long term damage to the previous roof permitted water entry into the building. Three trees close to the house, including a pine that was split by a lightning strike, were removed by the men of the Berkeley Heights Public Works department. The HSBH received a Union Country grant which will be used to repair damage to the east side of the house, with the town providing assistance in gathering bids. Plans are also being made to replant Osage orange trees which were common on the property for decades. Two such trees were lost to storms over the past year.
The Historical Society of Berkeley Heights is registered as a 501-C(3) organization. All donations are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law. The Society is looking for part time volunteers of all ages to assist with research and restoration projects. Visit our website at https://sites.google.com/site/hsofbh/ for more information.