This winter, the Somerset County Library System of New Jersey (SCLSNJ) will commemorate Black History Month through a program series that explores history, music, and more.
Celebrating Black History Month (grades 2-8)
Test your knowledge of famous African-Americans and their contribution to both the US and the world. Enter a matching contest to win a book from the prize bookshelf.
- February 1-28 at SCLSNJ’s Somerville Library branch, located at 35 West End Avenue in Somerville. For more: sclsnj.libnet.info/event/1155455.
A Place For All People: Commemorative Exhibit in Honor of Black History Month (all ages)
Discover a selection of highlights of the artifacts on display at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of African American History and Culture.
- February 4-28 at SCLSNJ’S Manville Library Branch, located at 100 South 10th Avenue in Manville. For more: sclsnj.libnet.info/event/1159002.
African Folktales (grades Pre-K to 5)
African music, presented by Bright Star Children’s Theatre, helps set the stage for exploring folktale traditions and stories.
- February 6, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at SCLSNJ’s Bridgewater Library branch, located at 1 Vogt Drive in Bridgewater. For more: sclsnj.libnet.info/event/1119269.
- February 7, 4-5 p.m. at SCLSNJ’s Warren Twp. Library branch, located at 42 Mountain Boulevard in Warren Twp. For more: sclsnj.libnet.info/event/1121869.
Thelonious Monk Straight, No Chaser: Jazz Documentary
This documentary will explore the life and artistry of modern jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk.
- February 9, 1-3 p.m. at SCLSNJ’s Somerville Library branch, located at 35 West End Avenue in Somerville. Register: sclsnj.libnet.info/event/1157227.
Folklore Around the World: African Folktales (grades 1 and up)
Explore different cultures through traditional stories passed down from generation to generation with SCLSNJ librarian Margaret Draghi.
- February 20, 3:30-4 p.m. at SCLSNJ’s Bound Brook Memorial Library branch, located at 402 East High Street in Bound Brook. For more: sclsnj.libnet.info/event/1150695.
Slavery and the Quaker Abolition Movement in New Jersey (adults)
Historian Rick Geffken will present an overview of the history and legacy of New Jersey’s 200 year history of slavery.
- February 20, 7-8 p.m. at SCLSNJ’s Bridgewater Library branch, located at 1 Vogt Drive in Bridgewater. Register: sclsnj.libnet.info/event/964805.
A Modern Approach to Southern Cuisine by Chef Jesse Jones: Building Flavors of Love (adults)
Learn and taste a new approach to southern cuisine with New Jersey Chef Jesse Jones.
- February 23, 11 a.m. – noon at SCLSNJ’s North Plainfield Memorial Library branch, located at 6 Rockview Avenue in North Plainfield. Register: sclsnj.libnet.info/event/1014809.
Universal African Dance and Drum Ensemble (all ages)
Celebrate African culture with a spirited performance featuring dance, drumming, traditional songs, stilt walking and dancing, and more.
- February 23, 2-3:30 p.m. hosted offsite Somerset County Vo-Tech Auditorium, located at 14 Vogt Drive in Bridgewater. Register: sclsnj.libnet.info/event/1130713.
West Africa on the East Coast (adults)
Explore the cultural tapestry of West Africa through centuries of art from within the borders of its 18 present-day countries with Mike Norris, Ph.D.
- February 23, 3-4 p.m. at SCLSNJ’s Bridgewater Library branch, located at 1 Vogt Drive in Bridgewater. Register: sclsnj.libnet.info/event/1027218.
For more about Black History Month at SCLSNJ: sclsnj.org/black-history-month.